Listen Up! Northwest is a collaboratively produced radio magazine featuring stories of communities in action throughout the Northwest. Each broadcast highlights the work of skilled community radio producers and artists from our region, including Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.
Listen Up! Northwest Program 13 dives into stories on trash, garbage, waste and "stuff."
* Marine researchers are finding that a lot of the worldâs plastic trash is collecting in a giant swath of sea 1,000 miles off of the west coast. (Don Wolfe, KBOO Portland)
* The Seattle City Council passed an initiative to charge for disposable bags in supermarkets â but the bag industry is fighting back. (Orli Cotel, Sierra Club Radio)
* What can you do with construction debris? Learn from a someone who's in the business of de-construction as opposed to demolition. (Ryan White, KBOO Portland)
* Don't let food that's perfectly edible go to waste. A look at food rescue (Martha Baskin, KBCS Seattle)
* Annie Leonard on the dubious correlation between stuff and happiness. (Daphne Wysham, Earthbeats)